Sunday, December 2, 2012

Baby it's cold outside

Camping's hard work, and it's sure as heck not romantic. Who knows maybe I'm just too old for this sh##. Truth is it's just not my thing. We tried it in a tent, and this time we "upgraded" to a camper van. The thing about camping is it's only fun if the weather's good and you have absolutely everything you need. So, I beg of you all next time I call you up to tell you about the fantastic camping holiday I'm planning, feel free to stop me, no I implore you to stop me and remind me that I just don't like camping!!!!!
In saying that I'm really glad that we did choose the camper van option. If we didn't there's no way that I would have been able to park next to one of the most beautiful beaches in the world, drink a steaming hot mug of tea and immerse myself in my writing.

The weather is freezing cold outside, it's colder here than it was when we left Switzerland, and people it's winter there. I crawled out of bed this morning, dragged myself down the road to get my morning dose of java and was confronted with the sight of snow capped mountains and a biting breeze. Being outside was just out of the question, so we jumped in the B-Mobile and went for a drive. First stop was the supermarket to buy rope...What for??? We did some washing yesterday, and there is no drying room in the hotel.  One of the things that camping doesn't cater for if the weather isn't good... well bugger it... we bought some rope and hung it up in the back of the campervan to make an impromptu washing line.... and it's doing the trick nicely thank you very much.

So there I was in the snug as a bug in a Batmobile with a cup of cranberry tea, a washing line and an Ipad (sounds like the start of a bad joke) and I said that camping wasn't fun; truth is days like this are the ones that we remember forever. The wind howled around our little tin can with such force that the seagulls were stuck in midair beating their wings in vain but not moving forward at all. Sitting there with my tea cup warming my hands I couldn't have been happier... well... maybe camping isn't so bad after all... (this is where you guys start jumping up and down waving your hands in the air and refer me to the opening passage of this text)

So I mentioned crayfish in my last entry, for those of you who don't know Kaikoura is Maori for eat crayfish. At the end of the main street here, by the beach, there is a little food "caravan" not unlike my dad's Swiss Deli Roller ( the girls who work for my dad are way better looking though....) Here you can buy a BBQed crayfish and eat in on the beach (or in your camper with Crowded House rocking your Iphone) If I spent the rest of the day looking through the internet, I still wouldn't find a word that would adequately describe our lunch, so I'm going to go with an old favorite.... YUM.



1 comment: